A Message from the President
My family has been a part of the Bethany community since 2006, when our now 21-year-old was a sixth grader. My family has two Bethany graduates and a fifth grader at Bethany.
In 2006 I had little understanding of what a private Christian school would be. We were paired right away with a seasoned Bethany family who guided us through the first semester until we felt comfortable to navigate the school on our own. We found it easy to get involved at Bethany as the small size allows for significant parental involvement in academics, athletics, fundraising, and extracurricular activities.
The purpose of Bethany’s PTO is to aid the students and staff by providing support for educational and recreational needs. The PTO uses its resources to support all the efforts of our staff and school through our seven action groups: admissions, athletics, BART, club competitions, fine arts, spirit wear, and staff appreciation. Further below is a brief description of each action group.
Becky Helmuth, PTO President
How Do I Get Involved?
Contact the president, an action group leader, or the Bethany office at 574 534-2567.
- Admissions action group works together with the admissions office to provide a warm welcome to visitors and new families. We find parent reps for each grade level who serve as a resource for new students/families to contact if they have any questions, locate current student hosts to help new students settle in, and assist in hosting open houses and visit days as needed. You can support the work of admissions by sharing your positive experiences of Bethany with your friends and church members.
- Athletics action group is responsible for finding parent volunteers to serve as team parents for all of our middle school and high school athletic teams. Team parents work with coaches to coordinate snacks, meals, ticket sales, scorebook, scoreboard, team shirts, locker decorations, and any other needs that might arise throughout the season. Special thanks to all the parents that have helped out with the sports teams so far, your work helps make the sports seasons run smoother.
- BART action group assists with Bethany's scrip program in which parents and friends of Bethany can purchase certificates and gift cards to local and national businesses and earn money for tuition. Learn more on the BART web page.
- Club Competition action group assists the teachers and coaches leading middle school and high school Speech and Debate, Chess Club, and Science Olympiad. They help recruit parent coordinators to assist the clubs where their students participate. Parent coordinators organize snack and meal schedules for competition events or practices, decorate students lockers, etc.
- Fine Arts action group aids orchestra, band, and theatre directors. Volunteers assist in many ways with choir, orchestra, band, and theater productions. Involvement can include: meals,stage decorations, set building, costumes, and much more.
- Spirit Wear action group assists with selling Bruin apparel. Orders are typically filled in September and December. See store.
- Staff Appreciation action group shows appreciation to our great staff at Bethany by sending them birthday cards and providing snacks twice a month. In May we hold a Staff Appreciation Week, providing food, encouragement and prizes around a theme. We are looking for someone to take over this action group next year which involves making a snack/card schedule and getting volunteers to sign up at the August PTO Kick-off. Then reminders are sent to volunteers at the beginning of each month. Please let Tammy Miller or someone on the PTO know if you are interested.