The Bethany basketball teams have wrapped up a successful and historical 2022-23 season with both boys and girls teams putting on impressive performances throughout the season. Both teams made history, while several athletes are also celebrating individual accomplishments.
The girls team ended the season with an impressive program record of 24-4, a Hoosier Plains Conference (HPC) championship, a first-ever regional championship in girls basketball, and a first-ever state appearance for any Bethany team sport The team demonstrated exceptional teamwork and skill throughout the season! Head coach KP led the girls in an exemplary fashion, inspiring them to push themselves to reach their full potential. The team’s success was also due to the unwavering support of their fans, who cheered them on every step of the way.
The boys team had a great season, finishing with a record of 16-11 and making the program’s first regional showing since 2009. This team, comprised mostly of juniors, had some impressive wins against Prairie Heights, Wawasee, Argos, and Bremen, and won its first-ever HPC title. This team showed a great deal of talent and determination throughout the season. It will be exciting to see what next year holds, since they are only graduating one senior.
On top of the accomplishments of the teams, Bethany had a few juniors who also have a lot to celebrate. Zoe Willems hit her 1,000 career point, becoming the third Bethany girls basketball player to reach this mark. She ended the season with 1,145 career points, second place of the most career points. Click here to see all past records.
Junior Tyson Chupp reached 1,000 points during the boys sectional championship game. He ended the season with 1,038 career points. He is 148 points away from being at the top of the leaderboard for most career points in Bethany history. Click here to see all past records.
The success of the basketball teams is a reflection of the athletes’ dedication not only to their sport, but also to their education. Bethany student-athletes prioritize their academic responsibilities and strive to excel both on and off the court. The basketball programs are just one example of how our students demonstrate their commitment to being well-rounded individuals. Below is a list of 14 basketball athletes earning academic all-conference recognition and players who received Bethany season awards. Way to go Bruins!
- Girls Basketball: Morgan Chupp, Mariah Stolzfus, Zoe Willems, Jessa Caffee, Kolette Kern, and Kiersten Todd
- Boys Basketball: James Lind, Jess Bontrager, Tyson Chupp, Luke Yordy, Jayden Schlabach, Justin Hochstedler, Conner Liras, and Tristan Mast
- Girls Basketball: Zoe Willems
- Boys Basketball: Tyson Chupp, Luke
- Girls Basketball: Mariah Stolzfus (1st team), Zoe Willems (1st team), Kiersten Todd (2nd team)
- Boys Basketball: Tyson Chupp (1st team), Jacoby Reinhardt (2nd team)
Sportsmanship Award Winners
- Boys Basketball: Justin Hochstedler
- Girls Basketball: Kiersten Todd
MVP Award Winners
- Boys Basketball: Offensive - Tyson Chupp; Defensive - Jacoby Reinhardt
- Girls Basketball: Offensive - Zoe Willems; Defensive - Mariah Stoltzfus
- Boys Basketball: Jacoby Reinhardt
- Girls Basketball: Kolette Kern
- Boys Basketball: Conner Liras
Woman of Character
- Girls Basketball: Jessa Caffee